Lakes to Visit in Texas
You'll find many, many lakes to visit in Texas, because most of you know this - Texas is a huge state! We'll sort out a few of them here, and their details, so you can assess why you may like to visit them. And perhaps some cool (no pun intended!) ways to visit them also!!
We're not sure what areas of Texas are your favorite. Many people love the Hill Country. We sure do! Do you? We'll begin with some lakes in the Hill Country because we think you'll love to visit some of these.
Or are you looking for Houseboats? We have a few Deluxe Houseboat Rentals you can peruse.
Maybe you just love to fish! If you've got the Fishing Life, Texas is the place to be!
With purchases made via links on our site, we may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Details at our Advertising Policy. As an Amazon Affiliate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Texas Hill Country Lakes
The beauty of the Hill Country is pretty well known. Lakes in the Texas Hill Country just add to that. Many of them are right on the outer border of this gorgeous landscape area.
The Hill Country itself has more rivers, actually, that are worth a visit. Such as the Pedernales River seen here.
Looks calm, doesn't it? But with a storm coming through the Hill Country, it can become a raging torrent. Awareness of that is essential for visiting river swimming areas!
To visit this river, we recommend the scenic Pedernales Fall State Park.
We loved the Frio River, ourselves!
But as for the lakes to visit in Texas, let's find those:
- Canyon Lake - Quite a popular lake. It's a reservoir, a man-made Texas lake. Formed from damming the Guadalupe River. The water is usually clear & levels don't fluctuate too much.1 Eighty shoreline miles.2
- Excellent fishing for channel catfish & white/striped bass. Good also for large-mouth bass. Near the river's confluence is where lots of fish cover is available. Bass especially love that. 15 Boat ramps are scattered around the lake shore, all with parking. Facilities have fishing docks too, except for 3 of them.1
- Camping areas via Corp of Engineers at Potters Creek, Cranes Mill & Canyon Park.1
- Two day-use swimming beaches are at this wonderful lake to visit in Texas. Both are near Hancock, on the lake's North Shore. Beach-1 is large & sandy with picnicking facilities including grills (personal grills prohibited). Beach-2 is small & sandy; here you can bring a grill for a beach-side picnic.2
- For specifics on the lake call the Corp of Engineers: 830-964-3341. General info contact the Canyon Lake Chamber of Commerce: 830-964-2223.
- Lake New Ingram - In Ingram TX, down the road from famed Kerrville. The city itself is still working on upgrades for enjoying this lake.
- But it seems well-known that locals like to frequent the dam area for swimming. You'll see them soon!
- Over the other side of the dam is the other lake, Lake Old Ingram. The City of Ingram promotes the lake as a wonderful place to fish, but doesn't say much more.
- This stop is on our list! Will it be on yours? Tell Us, if you've been there! We'd like to know.
- Here are some with experience there:
- Lake Brownwood - History here via many facilities built by the Civilian Conservation Corps at the State Park. The lake has 7,300-surface-acres for all your recreational festivities. That includes swimming, fishing & all kinds of boating & water fun.
- Lake Buchanan - A huge lake, which has water level changes from time to time. The more toward the dam, the clearer the water.
- There's excellent fishing for catfish & striped bass.
- Five access points on the lake have boat ramps. 3 lakeside areas available for camping.
- Llano County has a particularly nice park: Black Rock Park at 3400 Hwy.261, Buchanan Dam. With mini-golf, playground, sandy swimming beach on a kid-friendly cove, RV & tent campsites or waterfront cabins. 512-369-4774
Have you thought about Houseboat rentals on Texas lakes? If so, it's no wonder! That's a fabulous way to experience large lakes, if you'd choose that, rather than Hotels On Texas Lakes.
Just imagine cruising a lake, preparing a snack in the kitchen. Then sitting out with the family, or friends on your deck chairs outside. Taking an afternoon swim.
Cooking up some light grub for dinner. Then sitting out to watch a glorious sunset over the water. Turning in, to your bunk to the gentle lapping waters lulling you to sleep.
Oh, yes - Hmmm. "It's A Hard Life" - NOT!
Until you get up & do it again tomorrow.
That's the good life, right?!
Let's see the best lakes in Texas for houseboat rentals.
- Lake Travis - Long twisty waters of the Colorado River is the prime lake to visit in Texas via a houseboat. Its clear waters give you 18,622 acres to explore, but can fluctuate lots lower.
- This is true Lake-Luxury! Gather your family or friends together for an unforgettable stay. The memories will stay with you forever. They may even prompt a return! Don't miss this one, with enough room to sleep up to 10, every modern amenity & lake-view luxuries like an upper lanai & a cruising deck.
- Docked Houseboat for sleeping up to 5. Yes, it doesn't leave its slip. But wonderful reviews for a splendid stay.
- Romantic Getaway - Stay in the Stateroom of this yacht. Only for 2. Living the life of luxury dockside.
- Clear Lake - This inlet off of Trinity Bay is north of Galveston Bay. Southeast of Houston, it's close to the city limits & near the suburbs.
- Docked on a private man made "island" where you can also relax onshore by palm trees & wafting tropical flowers. The 52' has a shower, 2 flatscreen TVs, dishwasher & gorgeous views from 2 decks. See It Here>
- Here's the houseboat Harmony, docked stationary on the lake. Peaceful location, yet close to many attractions & needs.
The Marina Area at Clear Lake in Texas
- Lake Texoma - With waters that are usually mostly clear, if you stay here there are plenty of other nearby places to capture your attention. That includes of historic & natural interest.
- This stay in a Peaceful Houseboat will be a memorable highpoint. Sleeps up to 6. It stays at the dock, which has a great swim platform you'll certainly enjoy. And so much more!
Best Fishing Lakes to Visit in Texas
In such a humungous state, there are fabulous fishing lakes to visit in Texas 'round every nook & cranny. We'll let you in on some of the best. Plus some tips!
Amistad Lake Flyover - 85th Flying Training Squadron
- Lake Amistad - Huge reservoir in West Texas. Accessed NW of Del Rio. Stay on the TX side, or else you'll need a Mexico fishing license.
- If you're trying for largemouth bass, this is it!
- Avoid summer. Time your casts for 1st in morning or when dusk approaches. The bass are often attracted to buzzbaits & spinners.3
- Lake Amon G. Carter - 2-in-1 lake, new & old, joined by a tunnel. One boat ramp access on each shore. NW of Dallas. Near Bowie which operates Selma Park, with camping, picnicking, ramp & 2 fishing docks.
- Excellent for hooking largemouth bass in Spring & Autumn. The old muddy side, recommended is chartreuse tail worm or spinner bait. The new side works well with dragging your Carolina rig. Put a juicy june-bug on it!3
- Eagle Mountain Lake - Trinity River waters impounded for this excellent Texas fishing lake North of Fort Worth.
- Especially summertime, tops for white bass, but also an A-1 Crappie lake (try the lower end)! You'll find it good hooking largemouth bass too - best around docks & hiding in reeds.3
- Lake Bardwell - SE of Waxahachie, near Ennis. Highview Park on the Western shore has a marina & multiple boat ramps. Fees are charged. 972-875-5711.
- Fishing access at five other points on both sides of the lake. Hybrid striped-bass are stocked yearly. Excellent white bass fishing. Noisy baits seem to work for both.3
- Choke Canyon Reservoir - West of Three Rivers, in the Frio River watershed. Off I-37 Exit 69, follow Hwy.72W.
- Excellent fishing for largemouth bass, except for summer.
- Try spinners, buzzbaits, rattletraps, cranks, or plastic worms. Recommend at least 20 lb. line, for dealing with dead lakebed cover.
- Also fantastic for cats: channels, flatheads & blues.3
You might like these
Natural hot springs in the Southwestern states are uniquely placed. You'll find excellent soakings any time of the year!
Utah lakes and rivers add so much to the state, and to the southwest. Recreation, enjoyment, survival on many levels. Let's use them, but protect them also.
Texas Lakes and Rivers are so useful for the state. For residents, workers & visitors. What are they? Where do they go? Find them & enjoy!
See References For Lakes to Visit in Texas
Some Directional Information on This Page May be sourced from Map data ©Google